Thursday, March 10, 2011

Inspiring Space Versus Harshness

Okay, so I promised to write about my feelings about our 3D work space.
I have always found it to be a very uncomfortable space to work in, physically.
I've noticed that this art building really, really sucks as far as disability accommodations, and the fact that I have to try my best to come to class early every time to try to secure my own disability chair is really unnerving.  And I can't mention how many times I wished at least one of the doors had a push button to open the doors because I have too many things in my arms, and I'm trying to use my cane to help me walk at the same time.  I just can't imagine how people in wheel chairs feel whom wish to be in the art program.  What a rip off!!!

Anyway, I went off on a tangent a bit, so back to our work space.  The desks really feel awkward.  All of the harsh wood and metal all around us I find to be very uninspiring.  I feel like I'm always trying to balance how the room is making me feel, with trying my best to keep my creative energy focused.  If I can't get physically comfortable in a space, how am I supposed to focus? There are weird metal things that seem to stick out at us, sometimes.  I guess I should think of the other room next to us as another work space I can be in, but my mind has a hard time separating that out.  The tables in the other room seem a lot better, with much more space to work on.

Also, most of the music that is played in our room I do not like, and music is really key for me when I'm trying to find inspiration.  I can only hope that the new art building will be much more accommodating for the new students, as this will be my last term at Lane.  I'm going to the U of O next term to pursue Digital Arts.  I also hope that Andy will play less music, as he doesn't seem to be hip enough to the times,  Sorry for that part.  But your students are young, and they have certain preferences.  Maybe you could suggest that your students bring music in.  Maybe you could settle on one popular radio station.  Either way, I've found it to be a distraction.

And I know that it's been noticed that I was working harder than usual on Tuesday.  This is because I have found it to be a lot easier for me to work at home on my projects than in the space we have.  At the same time, I know I have to bust out this chair in a timely manner.

1 comment: